The botanist and his hike to Alberg Mine

21 September 2013 | Ashland, OR -- Join me, Gabe Howe, for October's First Friday Art Walk in Ashland's Hardwired Building (340 'A' St). I will be reading  a short story about a hike I took with a botanist earlier this year near the Kalmiopsis Wilderness Area.
The story starts here at the shore of Rough & Ready Creek 

I wrote about this particular hike mostly because it was awesome.  I use my wild adventure as a lens for the reader to dig deeper into issues of ecology, fire, and a wild experience that today is becoming rare and hard to find. 

The story also gives the listener meaningful insight into the area's history and future. At least that is my hope. 
At some point we found ourselves in the western Siskiyou's bizarre high country
I enjoy writing technical hiking articles for the Medford Mailtribune. This represents something, though, a little wilder.

The doors will be open at 6pm with a small display of pictures from the area. The reading starts at 630pm promptly and lasts about 20-25 minutes. There will be beverages and snacks provided. 


Warning: there is some foul language in this story.

Questions? Email howegabe@gmail.com